Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The sad state of Cannabis software offerings

It kills me I don't have the time and resources to create an application that address the needs of the "middle market". Mid-sized wholesales, processors and producers just don't have access to the solutions they need.

To illustrate, here are some excerpts from messages I've received recently:

We need a robust inventory management system and I don't love any of the existing software providers

we switched from (company one) to (company two) with the rec flip, but so far (company two) is leaving a lot to be desired

I have talked to several of the software companies out there in the industry and I find that they are REALLY expensive and often are relying on the customers to test their beta software at a huge cost

The worst part about getting message like this has nothing to do with not being in a position to capitalize on the opportunity. It's knowing these businesses are in pain, and I don't have the ability to help. I'm hoping that some of the tools I've developed will reduce this pain, but there's so much more that needs to be done.

I'm starting to realize the market has 3 distinct types of players. There are companies small enough that spreadsheets and text files can provide all the tracking needed. There are the big players who can afford $50K - $100K per year ERP systems. But the companies in the middle are the ones who are most in need of help. These are companies that produce enough product each month that spreadsheets alone don't cut the mustard, but thousands of dollars per month cut too deep into their profit margins to be sustainable.

I still can't quit my day job. But clearly, spending my spare time trying to produce tools for a vastly underserved clientele will eventually result in a win-win situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment